Skip to main content

"Susie Homemaker"

When the weather starts to get cold I turned into my alter-ego Little Miss Susie Home-maker!  I pull out my big stand mixer & start baking.

I am not one to do things halfway & usually make at least 3 of everything & stockpile things in the freezer.   I see no point in making a gigantuous ( I made up that word) mess unless there something to be gained by it.  Usually Popster follows behind me cleaning up & doing dishes.  It drives him crazy as I own 3 of everything & usually will grab another measuring cup, spoon or whatever instead of washing the one I just used!


This is what I made this morning...unfortunately I had to clean up my own mess...Popster was at work!

By 8:00am I had made the pumpkin breads, a chopped salad & hardboiled eggs (my lunch for the week) & fixed a pot roast in the crock pot(Popster's dinner).  I even had all the dishes done & the kitchen cleaned!

Yesterday I made Apple Cranberry bread ....sorry no picture
Banana Sour Cream bread ...see yesterday's post
All three recipes are from  allrecipes.com
These are apple-raisin bars which I got from a magazine

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
11/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup(1 stick) butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
11/2 cups diced apples
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350.  Liberally spray 13x9x2 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon & salt.


In a large bowl, with electric mixer on med speed, blend together sugar, eggs, butter & vanilla for 3 mins until smooth.

Reduce speed to low & gradually add flour mixture for 2 mins until incorporated.  Stir in apples & raisins  & spread in pan.  I also used chopped walnuts

Bake at 350 for 35 mins.  Cool completely before cutting into bars.

I try to make everything a little healthier so I always use a combination of non-bleached & whole wheat flour & also cut back on the amount of sugar.  It doesn't appear to really change any of these recipes.

PS  Whoops....I just discovered I didn't plug in the crock pot...I guess Popster will be eating late tonight!!

Comments

  1. Mmmmmm....those all look fantastic! I might need to borrow the recipes!

    Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BIG BROTHER

Happy birthday to my big brother Terry...........have a wonderful day!

Yowsa!

 I was woken up around 3:30am yesterday by thunder as a line of severe storms were rolling through the area.  My alarm goes off at 4:00am so I figured I'd just get up.  I was standing in the kitchen waiting for the coffee pot when there was a blinding explosion in the back yard along with a huge clap of thunder.  It was like someone threw a bomb in the yard....needless to say it scared the crap out of me & I was waiting for a tree to fall.  We didn't see anything & I left the house at 7:00am while it was still raining.  Popster didn't see this until last night but it had struck this big oak that is about 15 feet from our sun room.  It just stripped that piece of bark right off the tree  Makes the expression "Don't mess with Mother Nature" become very real! Love

Molly bike riding????

Popster has been teaching Molly to run along side of his bike.  It has been a slow process but she's finally getting it.  They start off very slowly.......  then speed up a little......  which is when she gets crazy& decides to "carry" the leash......  gradually she feels more comfortable....  then she begins to gallop.... & the ears start to flap!!!!!